Twist & Taste: Gluten-Free Vegan Buns with a Veggie Delight.
In this gluten-free vegan buns recipe, we’ve taken the classic bun and given it a delightful twist that’s both gluten-free and vegan. We’ve combined arrowroot starch, buckwheat flour, and almond flour for a perfect texture and taste balance. But what makes these buns unique is the addition of shredded carrots and cauliflower rice, adding a touch of nutrition and a subtle sweetness.
To keep it vegan, we’ve used olive oil and a vegan sweetener like agave nectar or maple syrup instead of honey. Sliced almonds add a delightful crunch, while nutritional yeast brings in savory richness. And don’t forget the star of the show: everything bagel spices, with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, onion, and salt, infusing irresistible aroma and flavor.
Creating these buns is a breeze. Just mix the dough, shape it into buns, and pop them in the oven until they’re beautifully golden. These buns are incredibly versatile, making them perfect for burgers, sandwiches, or as a tasty side with your favorite soups and salads.
In summary, this recipe combines innovation with dietary inclusivity, offering a delicious option for gluten-free and vegan eaters. It’s an easy and flavorful way to elevate your meals with a twist of cauliflower and carrot goodness.
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup cauliflower rice (steamed and finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (or a vegan alternative like agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel spices (poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, onion, salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup of almond milk
To ensure the freshness and longevity of your gluten-free vegan buns with a cauliflower and carrot twist, follow these storage recommendations:
- Room Temperature (Short-Term): If you plan to consume the buns within 1-2 days, you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Make sure they are completely cooled before storing. This method is suitable for short-term freshness.
- Refrigeration (Medium-Term): For longer storage, keep the buns in an airtight container or resealable bag in the refrigerator. This can extend their freshness for up to 4-5 days. Refrigeration helps prevent moisture loss and keeps the buns from becoming stale too quickly.
- Freezing (Long-Term): To preserve your buns for an extended period, freeze them. Wrap each bun individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or place them in a single layer in a freezer-safe container, separating each bun with parchment paper to prevent sticking. They can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
Savoury Gluten-Free Vegan Buns
- ⅓ cup arrowroot starch
- ⅓ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup cauliflower rice (steamed and finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey (or a vegan alternative like agave nectar or maple syrup)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp everything bagel spices (poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, onion, salt)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup Almond Milk
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the arrowroot starch, buckwheat flour, almond flour, baking powder, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the shredded carrots, cauliflower rice, olive oil, milk and honey until well combined.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, you can add a bit of water or more olive oil, a tablespoon at a time, until it comes together.
- Gently fold in the sliced almonds and everything bagel spices into the dough until they are evenly distributed.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a bun. Place the buns on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the buns are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Allow the buns to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy your homemade savory gluten-free vegan buns with a delightful cauliflower and carrot twist!
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. However, please know that I only provide links to products that I actually use and wholeheartedly recommend.