- 1 cup of cooked spinach
- 1/3 of chopped tomatoes (I like them diced)
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of sliced onions
- 2 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp of active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup of warm water
- Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, salt together. Stir until combined.
- Add olive oil, active dry yeast and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes before kneading or placing all ingredients in a food processor.
- Knead or process ingredients until dough forms.
- Shape dough into a smooth ball.
- Place dough in a plastic wrap and let it sit for 1-2 hours or until it doubles in size.
Calzone filling method:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- While the dough rises, make the calzone filling. In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Mix well.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll and stretch them into 8-inch rounds. Place one portion of the filling on half the dough.
- Fold half of the dough over itself and press the edges to seal.
- Slowly transfer the calzone to the parchment/ baking sheet. Repeat this for each calzone.
- Add olive oil and salt over the top of each calzone. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Today is my daughter’s 8th birthday. I always ask my kids what they want for each meal on their birthday. So this morning, it was pancakes, lunch is take-out date with mommy and dinner is Cheesy Spinach Calzone. This is definitely one of the best kids comfort meals, a pizza sandwich filled with everything good!! Super easy to make and you can fill it with anything!
This recipe will serve 5-6.